11.28.2005

DHCP Client service and Dynamic DNS relationship

Today I couldn't ping, nslookup or connect to a server.  Others in my team could ping and connect, they were resolving the server name via WINS.  I don't have any WINS servers listed in my TCPIP config.  So I decided to check on the server:
 
C:\>ipconfig /registerdns
 
Windows 2000 IP Configuration
 
Error: The system cannot find the file specified.
: Refreshing DNS names
 
C:\>services.msc
--- The DHCP Client service was disabled.  DHCP Client service is responsible for registering the hostname in a Dynamic DNS environment.
 
Changed the startup type to Automatic, started the DHCP Client service, and re-ran the ipconfig /registerdns  command.
 
See: Dynamic DNS updates do not work if the DHCP client service stops  -  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264539
 

No comments: